Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Poison Tree – Evaluation and Personal Interpretation

A Poison Tree, a poem in Blake's Songs of Experience, contains complex symbolism and an important yet alarming lesson. The symbolic meaning of this poem can be applied to many different settings, but Blake's underlying message is one that should be taught at a young age. Blake teaches one to express their emotions freely to ease the negative pressures of withholding one's feelings. The same negative psychological effect of restraining emotion has been seen and taught by other various sources. As we grow older, it becomes harder and harder to share our true feelings with another person, especially our parents. I have felt, and I'm sure everyone has felt the same effect when our emotions are contained; we release the pressure explosively. We erupt when constant mental pressure builds and is not released through words. Our mind will find a way to release that pressure, and it's usually not in a peaceful, or controlled manner.

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

In the first stanza, Blake tell both possible reactions when one expresses, or does not express their feeling. The narrator was upset with an acquaintance, he told him his feelings, and he felt relieved. When the narrator does not share his feelings, the anger builds.

And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

The second stanza, the narrator is covering up his hatred with false expressions. His hatred still builds, yet he smiles and plays tricks on his foe. Blake uses a tree as a metaphor for hatred. It grows with the tears and fake smiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright.
And my foe beheld it shine.
And he knew that it was mine,

The third stanza begins to develop an action. The apple on the tree is a symbol for the idea in the mind of the narrator. “My foe beheld it shine,” means the enemy sees that hatred the narrator has for him, and enjoys the torment he is causing.

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

The final stanza is the conclusion to the narrator's action. The enemy had tormented to the point of explosion. The narrator kills the foe, who dies under the hatred against him; “beneath the tree.”

No comments:

Post a Comment