Thursday, January 6, 2011

A better understanding of "Love's Secret"



Love's Secret

Never seek to tell thy love,
Love that never told can be;
For the gentle wind does move
Silently, invisibly.

I told my love, I told my love,
I told her all my heart;
Trembling, cold, in ghastly fears,
Ah! she did depart!

Soon as she was gone from me,
A traveler came by,
Silently, invisibly
He took her with a sigh

           When reading the short poem “Love’s Secret” by William Blake, my first conclusion was that to keep love between two people they must not express it to each other. However, I didn’t fully agree with my interpretation, so digging deeper would help me find the actual meaning Blake was trying to portray. In the first paragraph the narrator states to never look to tell your love, love that wasn’t told can exist. So basically if you don’t tell your loved one of how you feel, there is still a chance of them being together. On the other hand, if you do tell your loved one of your affection towards them, the spark won’t last, and the relationship will soon end. In the next two lines the poet is describing his love, and comparing it with the wind. Like love is part of a human being's life, the wind is part of nature. Occasionally the wind is strong and can be noticeable, but in this case the wind is invisible, quiet, and gentle. Blake is comparing his love with this gentle wind because at this time he still has not expressed his love. Since his love has been kept in secret, his affection is like the gentle, invisible and silent wind. The second stanza is significant because this is when it describes the moment of a love confession. In the first two lines of this stanza Blake demonstrate the moment he admits his love to his loved one.  By repeating the phrase “I told my love,” twice, it is evident that he is urgently expressing his love. Then when telling her all of his love he has towards her, he opens his heart. In the second stanza, the word ghastly can also mean shockingly frightful, dreadful, or horrible. Therefore the man was trembling from the cold, and horribly fearful of something. The next line may explain why he may have been fearful, he was afraid of losing her, and unfortunately she did leave. On the other hand, she could have been the one who was fearful, and that fear scared her off. As soon as she is away from him, she gets taken away by a traveler. In my point of view the image of the traveler could either be a symbol of death, another lover, or a husband. Overall Blake is describing "true love" or "unconditional love" which can remain unrequited and yet still be fulfilled.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I came upon your analysis while trying to understand the last verse. Yours is the most comprehensive analysis I have found.
    Would you mind explaining further the last line of your analysis? Specifically, how can true love be fulfilled when not returned? Also, how does the poem show this?
    I really enjoyed the video. Well done.

    ReplyDelete